Thursday, November 8, 2012

Holtville: Back to the Good Old Days #2

WORDS BY LUKE PHILLIPS

This 1958 advertisement for Holtville's Imperial Hardware store marked the 50th Anniversary of the retailer's
 1908 opening. Imperial hardware is still open in Holtville today, (although it has since moved to a different location) making it one of the oldest continuously operating businesses in the city. The location of the store shown in the photo is now the home to the 99 Cent Plus Center and the Imperial Hardware Do-It Center is located at the northwest corner
of Fern Avenue and 5th Street. I love the window displays shown in the photo and I wish Holtville still had more of that kind of thing. Main Street is starting to look a little worn down these days, especially the block where this store used
to be located.
Having a movie theater right here in Holtville would have been a dream-come-true for me as a child. I was a movie addict and we always had to drive all the way to Calexico or El Centro to get my fix. I can only imagine how awesome it would have been to have a theater here in town. I would have been there for every show. Unfortunately the Alamo Theater was destroyed in a fire before I was even born. My mom remembers attending shows at the theater though and she's told me plenty of stories, like how you used to be able to trade in bottle caps to see a show instead of paying. Oh, what an age that must have been! If anybody out there has memories they'd like to share about the Alamo Theater, please leave a comment in the comments section below!
Television star Willard Waterman, who portrayed Throckmorton P. Gildersleeve (Gildy) on the show 'The Great Gildersleeve' dresses for his performance at the 1958 Holtville Carrot Festival with some help from his co-star Stephanie Griffin who portrayed is niece Marjorie on the show. Movie stars and other celebrities regularly made appearances during early days of the Carrot Festival, often serving as the Carrot Parade Grand Marshall. 

12 comments:

  1. I totally wish we had a movie theater. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Used to spend many Saturday afternoons in the Alamo in the 50's Lots of John Wayne, and Old Westerns. Cartoons, double features, and Lots of Disney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back in the 50's would go to the Alamo to see John Wayne and the latest Disney, always a great Cartoon Pop Candy and popcorn, spent many an Saturday afternoon there, and always loved the Christmas Matinee with Santa.....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great site Luke.. Really enjoying your website.. Please keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! You keep reading, I'll keep writing :)

      Delete
  5. Lendal Macon November 8, 2012 2:24 PMNovember 8, 2012 at 2:25 PM

    I remember the frozen cokes, man they were good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Loved Tuesday night family night, there was 8 children in our family but we could all go to the movies on tuesday night. one Tuesday night, my family walked to the theatre from 830 Fern and coming home Daddy had to carry me because I hurt my ankle. Loved the DiPauli's(spelling?), they nick named my brother oo ups for 2 cups.

      Delete
  6. I had my 8th birthday, with a bunch of girlfriends, celebrated at the Alamo watching "The Shaggy Dog"... great memories! Love this site...Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, so many memories. I loved Mr. DePaoli's frozen Dr Peppers. Spent so many weekends there. I actually watched the Alamo burn down in 1977. I cried the whole time. I miss the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wonder if anybody has photos of the Alamo when it was around and what it looked liked in its final moments. I so wish we could rebuild it on the same site.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I lived across from the park in the Motor Inn, 82/83 and it was still there, but more as a burnt out shell. As kids we always thought it was weird they just left it for so long. We assumed it was haunted, and we'd peak in. There was really no roof - and from the back you could still see all the seats, the projector booth, candy/popcorn stands etc. - it was just left and abandoned. Always wondered when they would rebuild it but I guess it wasn't to be.

    ReplyDelete