Saturday, October 20, 2012

Welcome to 'This is Holtville'




   Hello friends and neighbors, and welcome to This is Holtville.

Luke Phillips
    My name is Luke Phillips. Some of you may know me, or at least my name, from my work as a reporter for the Holtville Tribune, but I've recently decided to move on from the Tribune, accepting a position as a Marketing & Event Coordinator for Barbara Worth Resort. I'm absolutely loving my new job, but I don't want to totally give up on journalism and I still have an interest in taking photos and writing stories that chronicle life in my hometown, so I've decided to start this Web site dedicated to reflecting the community and residents of Holtville.

   This is Holtville is meant to provide an online focal point for the city, a place for residents to come together, share their thoughts, be informed and express themselves. I personally wanted to start this blog as a way to share my thoughts, feelings and opinions about Holtville without the restrictions of the newspaper format and as a place to share all of the photos I take of the community that don't make it into the newspaper. The Web site will also give me the ability to share news and cover events as they happen through semi-live video and up-to-the-second updates.

   I'm also hoping that 'This is Holtville' will become a collaborative community project with a wide and varied line-up of contributors, reflecting the people of the community and what's important to them. We will be accepting submissions from residents in the form of news stories, essays, artwork, photographs, videos or whatever other form of expression they may choose. I've always been interested in new, experimental forms of journalism and I'm hoping that 'This is Holtville' can provide a new, ultra-local form of citizen-based reporting for our city.

   'This is Holtville' will feature huge, full-color, high-definition photo galleries of community events, HD video of breaking news and community events, reviews of local restaurants and a variety of other fun features and art projects along with news updates, weather, useful links and more. There's not a whole lot on the site right now because we're just getting started, but look for fresh new content in the days, weeks, months and hopefully years to come.

   - Luke Phillips
Editor, This is Holtville

2 comments:

  1. Good luck to you Luke! Now, do you have the recipe for Peanut Butter Squares? They were served in the school cafeterias and my kids loved them. (Not Anonymous) Linda Birger

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll have an article on how to make Peanut Butter Squares coming up in the next week or two. Stay tuned!

      Delete